5 first steps Christian believers can take to make a difference in SA today
Many South Africans are asking how they can become more relevant. Here are some first steps that may help ...
1. Read the bible with people who are not the same as you and allow the reflections that emerge to change the way you understand your cultural reading of the bible.
2. Take a look at your lifestyle - how you spend your time, treasures and talents. Do you live in a way that changes the way things are in the South Africa? How do you live in ways that keep South Africa the way it is?
3. Listen! To other people, to your own heart, to the world around you and to God. What are you hearing? What do you need to take notice of? What are the first simple steps you can take in response to what you have heard? Who can you talk to about this?
4. Speak! Tell your story. Our faith is a story-telling faith. The richness of all our stories make up our hope for a different South Africa. Talk about what you have learnt from other people’s stories. Weave your story and others’ stories into God’s big story and share this with everyone you meet. We need more than a single story about our country and each other.
5. Ask yourself this one simple question: “Do I believe that all South Africans have been created equal in the image of God?” If your answer is yes, then ask the following question: “Does the way I and my family and community live, reflect this truth?” Start making small changes where it is obvious that what you believe is not reflected in how you live.